With July 4th right around the corner, and news regarding the Independence Day sequel slowly trickling out, I thought it was time we put together a good ole classic Geekasms’ Catch-up post. So for all those interested, and in conjunction of the actual Independence Day, here is all the information regarding the sequel.
– Independence Day 2 is set to be released July 3, 2015.
– The working title that some sites report is ID Forever Part 1
– Roland Emmerich will return to direct.
– Screenwriter James Vanderbilt is finalizing edits on the original script that was initially written by Emmerich and Dean Devlin
– The Earth that will be shown in the film will be very different from our own in that they’ve had twenty years to analyze and use all the alien technology that was left. The ID4 Earth will be ready for another fight.
– Will Smith will NOT return for the sequel, with Roland Emmerich telling the NY Daily News that Smith is simply too expensive:
Will Smith cannot come back because he’s too expensive, but he’d also be too much of a marquee name. It would be too much. We have like maybe half of the people that you know would know from the first film [in the script] and the other half people who are new.
– Emmerich has also added that Smith is now a “marquee name” and that having Smith in the film would make it a “Will Smith” film rather than an Independence Day film.
– Emmerich has not rule out a small cameo for Smith if he would be interested in doing it.
– Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman WILL return for the sequel.
– Along with Goldblum and Pullman, Emmerich has confirmed that there will be a gay character in the film, telling the Huffington Post:
Actually in the next ‘Independence Day’ there is a gay character
– Emmerich would also like to bring back Judd Hirsch and Brent Spiner.
That’s all for now, but with a script nearly finalized and a release date 2 years away, I’m sure we will begin to slowly hear more bits of news.